May 22, 2011

Meet Coco's Pearls.

HFW Participant Guest Post: Filiz from Coco's Pearls.  Enjoy~


Hello, G'day, Merhaba and Salaam!

Coco's Pearls, my Blog, started off as a means to get in touch with other muslims. I'm a stay at home mum with two crazy boys and my blog was a way for me to unwind and relax at the end of a long day and really connect with all the many other muslims around the world. At times it is easy to feel isolated. Yes I have many non-Muslim friends, but it's nice to see and hear other Muslims out there that share the same interests as you. And what is that? Fashion of course!

HFW Nov 2010 - Day 3 - Girls' Night Out
My take on fashion is a simple and relaxed approach. I really don't have many options to tell you the truth! On most occasions I will be out in nature either roughing it with the boys (that's three boys in total), relaxing at the beach, fishing or doing something active. Which means I cant really dolly myself up. Well I can but I think I'd get a few too many stares and sideway glances don't you think?? So I like to wear jeans and kaftan/dresses on most occasions. Thing's that are no fuss and allow freedom of movement yet still allow me to be modest. On the odd occasion that I do have the oportunity to dress up whether it be night out with the girls, a function or a dinner I do jump at the chance. On these such rare occurances I try to wear understated classic and classy outfits (like l said l TRY!!!).

I've always loved fashion I mean really who doesn't??? I remember when I was in highschool platform shoes were in fashion and my sister and I saved our $5.00 a week allowances to buy us a pair each! Gee where we chuffed with ourselves! As a child I lived very close to one of Melbourne's well known shopping strips so any chance my sister and I got we would be sneaking off to the shops. If we came home with one little purchase we were very happy girls indeed.

{Moi}
There are many fashion designers out there that do fantastic work however I have to say that without a shadow of doubt (and those that know me can testify)  that Coco Chanel is my favourite. Hence the blogs name "Coco's Pearls". I think she was a fashion genius, to have started from practically nothing to owning a huge fashion empire (you gotta be right?). She had a clear vision which I would kill for. Her style was pure class, another thing I would kill for!! Her designs were in my mind timeless pieces that you could keep forever, they were not fleeting fashion phases.

Another of my favourite designers are a pair of homegrown gals from Australia. Heidi Middleton and Sarah-Jane Clark of Sass & Bide are a pair of fantastic designers. I find their fashion to be quite tribal and out of the ordinary. I also find some of their fashion to be Hijabi friendly. It's quite difficult in this day and age to find something that is hijabi friendly yet out of the ordinary also.

{Moi - Red Roll Up}
I took part in last November's Hijabi Fashion Week and when it started, I was quite apprehensive but I must say I ended up having a ball!!!! It was such a fantastic idea to bring together the Hijabi's from various parts of the world who share the same passion and put it into the one spot!! Really it taught me so much! It showed me that athough we may be far apart and lead different lives, at the end of the day we aren't that different at all! It also was really interesting to see all the different styles and approaches to the different occasions assigned to us.

I must say I am looking forward to this years Hijabi Fashion Week and really it can only get bigger and better from here!!!

Black & White

Lots of Love,
Filiz
------------------------------------------------

7 comments:

Is-za said...

Love her blog and fashion sense. Great post :)

http://furiouslyfabmuslim.blogspot.com/

bosnishmuslima said...

Thanks for introducing this lovely blog <3

http://styledmodestly.blogspot.com/

Em said...

@ Is-za + bosnishmuslima, yah! her sense of style is awesome. one of my personal favs <3

HijabRevival.. said...

love coco!! she is definitely my inspiration!

Ms. Didi said...

Cool Mom!

Especially love the heels in the first pic!

http://dibajohan.blogspot.com

-Diba J-
Fashionably Faithful

Ms. Didi said...

Cool Mom!

Especially love the heels in the first pic!

http://dibajohan.blogspot.com

-Diba J-
Fashionably Faithful

bosnishmuslima said...

Thanks for introducing this lovely blog <3

http://styledmodestly.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment